Tuesday, February 24, 2015

The BELIEF of an Agnostic

The BELIEF of an Agnostic:

I believe that, if there is a Higher Power, it is not omnipotent, rather than that it allows so much pain and sorrow in the world.

I believe that, if there is a Higher Power, it is not omniscient, rather than that it let thousands of years go by without telling humans about germs, or electricity, or printing, or radio waves, or so many other marvels.

I believe that, if there is a Higher Power, it is not omnipresent or all-seeing, rather than that it allows so much evil and terrorism to exist and prosper.

I believe that, if there is a Higher Power, it is not all-loving, rather than that it allows so much loneliness and suffering and depression in the world.

I believe that, if there is a Higher Power, it is not prescient, rather than that it knows in advance of earthquakes and sinking ships and other disasters, yet never warns innocents.

I believe that, if there is a Higher Power, it is not eternal, rather than that it has been alone for billions of years, which would surely drive any rational being mad.

I believe that, if there is a Higher Power, it is not personal, rather than that it has never been my friend by asking about my feelings or opinions.

I believe that, if there is a Higher Power, it is not immutable, rather than ignore that what is right in one environment or culture or time so often is wrong in another.

I believe that, if there is a Higher Power, it is not the creator of the universe, rather than recognizing that the laws of physics can explain creation without needing to call on any supernatural cause.

1 Comments:

Blogger Husker Gary said...

Very interesting reading, Owen!

12:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home